Garden District, Toronto

Home to the famous Allen Gardens conservatory, The Garden District is a neighborhood in Toronto that is a metropolitan hub with urban aesthetics. Allen Gardens is a botanical greenhouse which contains a diverse array of tropical plants from all over the world. The neighborhood of Garden district is bordered by Carlton Street to the north, Queen Street East to the south, Sherbourne Street to the east and Yonge Street to the west. Majority of the population in the area comprises of young professionals. Although not a very family-friendly neighborhood, there are still a few families that are settled here. Garden District is sought after mostly by young professionals, students and couples without children who crave an urban lifestyle. One of the main reasons for its young inhabitants is the presence of Ryerson University within its borders. It serves convenient for off-campus students who want to stay close to the university. Ryerson University stretches over an urban landscape stretching up to 121 acres of land. It is famous for multiple programs including the famous Ted Rogers School of Management, which is one of the biggest business schools in Canada. The current population of the neighborhood stands at 8240 with an average income of $37,614. Compared to other parts of Toronto, the average rent here is lower by 9%. Back in the days, Garden District used to be an exclusive neighborhood but started to lose its glory once the old Edwardian and Victorian detached houses started to dilapidate. There are several new condo developments that are coming up here with steep prices on the nicer streets. Almost all amenities are available within walking distance and negates the need for using vehicles. Out of the entire population, 65% stay on rent while the remaining 35% are homeowners.

List of New Condos in the Garden District Neighbourhood

Why Invest in Garden District Real Estate?

78% of the real estate sales in Garden District comprises of condos while townhouses stand at 9% and semi-detached houses at 7%. As per research, there has been an increment of 5% in real estate prices over the last term. Considering this factor, investing in real estate here is indeed a good option. Other factors include the presence of Ryerson University in the neighborhood which leads to many students looking for accommodation. The location of the neighborhood also plays an important part as most young professionals find it convenient to commute to work from here. Three of the most sought-after intersections are located within this neighborhood – Yonge-Dundas, Yonge-Gerard and Yonge-Carlton.

Transit Options

Located in the core part of the city, Garden District features world-class transportation. There are several streetcar, bus and subway services available here, including some of which run 24 hours. You will find stops here in major blocks of the neighborhood. College and Queen are the two major subway stations that can be availed in the neighborhood. Residents who own vehicles can make use of the Gardiner Expressway which can be accessed through Lower Jarvis Street to commute to other parts of the city effortlessly. The Lakeshore Boulevard too is in close proximity which can be accessed using the same route.

Questions & Answers